Welcome to this week’s homestead update.
I went through my hives completely this week. I have been checking them, but this is the first time in a month that I took out every frame. I had a bunch of burr comb that I had to scrape out. I also found that one hive had some queen cells in it. I looked into the cells and there was not an egg or larva in it. So I guess they just made them just in case. I put a baggie of 3 quarts of syrup on the hive and covered them with the small boxes that I made last week. Each box has about 8 frames with no cells built on them, but next time I open the hives, I’m going to put on another box of frames. I don’t want the bees to think that they are running out of space. I also got stung once on the second hive. I got a full dose of venom this time. I had to pull the stinger out and the venom sack was still attached and pumping. I finished with the hives and when I got back to the house, my finger was very swollen. I took an allergy tablet. I’m glad that I’m not allergic to them.
I harvested the potato onions. This year I mainly planted to develop a larger supply or seed stock. Planting a larger onion causes a bunch of smaller onions to form. Planting a small onion causes a large onion to form. I mainly planted larger onions in hopes of getting more seed stock. It worked out like I intended. I have at least twice as much as I planted last Fall. I need to clean these up and put them in the basement. Then in October, I’ll plant them in the garden. Next year I’ll have many more larger onions that we can eat or plant for seed stock.
That’s what happened on my homestead this week. This was done last Saturday. On Sunday, we left for vacation in the Outer Banks. I’m probably sitting on the beach right now watching the waves.