Welcome to this week’s update.
First up this week is the mess that is my garden. I’m kind of embarrassed about this, but see those tall things in the back? There’s a garden bed under there. I’ve been keeping up with the spaces between the active beds, but because of being away so much this year the rest of the garden fell into disarray. This week we worked our butts off clearing the weeds out of the empty beds. Now most of the empty beds look like these front few. We also really cut down the weeds growing in between the beds. We still have a lot of work ahead of us, but about 3/4 of the garden looks presentable. This brings up a goal for the Winter. I plan on filling the lanes between the garden beds with wood mulch. My wife was against this, she’s afraid of attracting termites. But I think I’ve convinced her that we can’t keep up with the space between the beds. So it is a go for this Winter.
While cleaning out one of the garden beds, I came across my saffron corms. I looked for them in the Spring, but didn’t find them. I thought that the squirrels found and ate them. When I planted them last year, I knew not to expect flowers right away. But I didn’t realize that saffron reproduced by creating more corms. In the Fall, I planted 12 corms, Sunday I found 57 corms. I put these into a brown paper bag to hold them like I do garlic. In a couple of weeks, I’ll block off half of a garden bed to plant the saffron. Maybe this year I’ll see some flowers. Then I’ll have to figure out how to harvest the stigmas.
In another of the overgrown beds we found more onions. These are just yellow onions. There are some small ones that I’ll likely plant again.
While down there I picked some green tomatoes. While on vacation, we had some fried green tomatoes. We all thought they were tasty so wanted to try making them ourselves. Since we hadn’t made these before, my wife picked up a box of Whistle Stop Fried Green Tomato batter mix. They turned out pretty good. We will likely make them again. But next time we will try making them from scratch. If anyone has a good recipe, let me know.
I came home to a big bag of sweet corn. My wife stopped at the farm stand down the street and bought 3 dozen ears. This is tasty corn, but we wanted to put this in the freezer. We blanched the corn and cut it off the cob. We ended up with about 10 bags holding 2 cups of corn. The corn was pretty nice, that ear in front of the picture is the only one that didn’t look good. There wasn’t anything wrong with it, but it looks like it wasn’t properly pollinated. I didn’t find a single worm, but that probably means the farmer sprayed the corn with an insecticide.
I don’t have a picture, but my wife made a meatloaf the other day. We start out with a standard recipe, but don’t really stick to it. This time around, we added onions, garlic, green peppers and carrots. All of the vegetables were from my garden. I love it when the garden actually makes a difference in what we eat.
The last thing I have for this week is I put more sugar syrup on the hives. I put 4 quarts of syrup on each hive Thursday. The bees will likely empty the baggies by Saturday. I found that my bees don’t have many cells of capped honey. The inspector told me that I can feed them 2:1 syrup and they will cap that. So I’ll do 2:1 syrup soon.
That’s what I have for this week.