I was given the honor of receiving an electronic copy of Jason Akers’ book, The Scrounged Homestead. All I had to do was agree to review it. So I jumped at the chance.
For those that don’t know Jason, he runs The Self-Sufficient Gardner blog, podcast, forum, etc. He has a homestead in Kentucky and has been homesteading for quite some time. I know that he grew up exposed to homesteading or small farms. So he’s a great one to write about the subject.
Jason is something of an expert on scrounging materials for use on the homestead. But some people have the wrong view of what scrounging is. Right up front he spells out exactly what he means by scrounging. There’s nothing negative about it and I see it as the embodiment of real recycling. To him, scrounging is locating materials discarded by someone else that can be used on the homestead, and making something useful out of someone else’s trash. Continue reading
Welcome to the late edition of the weekly homestead update.
The week before last, we were all sick. This past week we had to play catch up. There were normal household things to do since we didn’t do them when we were sick. I spent most evenings running the kids to dance or Taekwondo. I really didn’t have much around the homestead that I accomplished.
Friday, I came home to a long box sitting outside the door. I forgot that I ordered some cherry trees back in September. But since they hadn’t gone dormant yet, I had to wait for shipping. I ordered a North Star pie cherry tree, a Montmorency pie cherry tree, Starkrimson Sweet cherry tree and a Royalton Continue reading
Welcome to this week’s update. Since the season is dying down, this week’s update won’t be all that long.
Work begins on the pad
I started working on the pad for the new shed. I decided that since my time is limited, I am buying a pre-built shed instead of building it myself. I’m getting a 12×24 shed with space for a loft. So first step is to build a stone pad. I’m making this out of 6×6 treated lumber. It is taking a lot of digging to get the border level. Since this area is on a slope, that corner I’m working on will be 3 boards high. I’ll level out the interior some so I don’t have 18″ of stone some places and far less other places. Continue reading
Welcome to this week’s homestead update.
Over the weekend I went shopping for a shed. When we moved into this house, the lender made the previous owner remove the shed since it was full of termites. This meant that I had to put my stuff in the carport and the basement. I’ve been planning on building a shed, but have put it off. I’m to the point of needing the shed. Since I don’t have a lot of time right now, I’m seriously thinking of buying one. The problem is that we don’t have a way to get the truck into the area. This means that it will cost 30% more. I guess I could take down a section of fence and take out 2 trees, but I really don’t want to do that. But it could save over $1000 dollars, so it is something to consider. Continue reading
Last week, I pulled up the last of the green beans. I decided that I wanted to try pickling some of these beans. So I dug out the recipe for Dilly Beans and made up a batch. These are a lot like dill pickles, but with beans. They are very easy to make.
- ~2 pounds green beans
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flake per jar
- 1 tsp dill seed per jar
- 1 clove garlic per jar
- 2 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup pickling salt Continue reading
Welcome to this week’s homestead update. Unfortunately I don’t have a lot of pictures to share today.
I had to get the grass mowed this past weekend. It was getting deep because of all the rain. I got out there Saturday morning and basically raced the incoming weather front. I was able to get the yard outside the fence mowed. I put the mower put away and the rain broke loose. It poured for a couple of hours. Then just drizzled all night long. Continue reading
Last week, I posted about how to freeze corn. After cutting all that corn off of the cob, I was left with a bunch of corn cobs. That sure seemed like a lot of waste, so searched the Internet to see if there was something I could make out of them. Of course, I found suggestions of making corn cob pipes or feeding them to the animals to get the last of the corn off of the cob. But I recalled hearing about corn cob jelly. So I did some searching and found a couple of recipes. Continue reading